Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Letting Go

The toughest thing in life is letting go. It is so easy to talk about it and try to be all sensible about it but in reality there are times when you just want to hold on. You don't want to part or say bye, even if it is just for a short time. Distance does change things.

Having said all this, we don't like to come off as clingy people. We want to be calm and cool when having to let go of someone or something. Emoness is for the weak. Or so we like to claim. 
Hypocrites. That's what we are. We hide our emotions or just run away from them. We distract ourselves from thinking about it. We listen to others whine and call them as emotional clingy people. 
Maybe it is time to stop and introspect.

When was the last time you weren't upset that your favourite slipper got cut just as you were heading out or you weren't annoyed that your favourite shirt had an ink stain the morning of an important meeting? 

These things get to us. Small things indeed, but they still get to us. We try not to let it show. We don't want to seem materialistic but of course we are human. 

Letting go applies even for our favourite skirts, shirts and purses, who said I was talking only about people.

When it comes to other human beings, we allow ourselves to get attached. We all do. There are some who may claim to be divine and have the ability to remain unattached to both living and non living beings. Maybe that is a distinct possibility for some one out of thousands of people. What about the rest? The " common " man has issues when it comes to parting. 

We don't want people to go away from our lives for some reason or the other; they made it a better place, we had fun with them, they made us realise we had a different side, or maybe, we just fell in love. Whatever be the reason, at the end of the day, if I must quote my favourite line (which is a really popular line from a tv show and considered to a highly emo quote), "people always leave"

Deal with it.

Cry, get angry, punch someone, scream at the world, take a walk, dance, sing, whine about it on a public forum or blog. Do whatever it takes to get it out of your system but don't go into denial. There are too many people who will walk in and out of your life. There are too many things that you will lose in your life. Take it from a person who has seen this happen repeatedly in her life. 

It may have taken me about 10 years to realise writing is my way of dealing with it, but hey atleast I have found what works for me along with a few tears and many many episodes of brainless sitcoms.

It is hard. Nobody said it was easy.

So why am I in a 'lesson of life' mode? The past couple of weeks has been about saying bye to students who have moved away to study. They have made a difference in my life and I as happy as I am for them getting into some brilliant colleges and universities, it still pinches me that they will no longer be around. Things will change,
The past few years has seen some of my best friends, my closest buddies, girls who were like sisters to me, get married and go way. Some of them to different countries and some of them just to different parts of the same city. But the point it, I've had to deal with letting go of them. Having to remind myself that she is now Mrs.Someone else first and then only my friend. I have dealt very badly with it in the past. I have allowed myself to be overcome with emotion and breakdown. I have allowed myself to blame other person. 

Not any more. 

I now know that just because people always leave it doesn't mean that everything is lost. There are memories and photos and means to keep in touch. There is also a will to keep in touch and the more people you have abroad is directly proportional to the number of gifts that you get from there. So its not all that bad.

So I say good bye to the clingyness and the denial system that apparently wasn't working for me. It is time to let go of negativity as well. Who said letting go wasn't for the greater good?


krupa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Krupa .. This message has simply touched me :') and yes ive certainly gained some positivity after reading this .. Thank you so much for sharing .. :)
Shreelekha

misskays said...

I am so glad to hear that Shreelekha :)