Friday, November 20, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: All about quality family time.

I know there probably a bunch of youngesters who will cringe at the idea of "quality time" with the family. As you grow older it sure does become a distant idea. In fact right now in my house we all have such different schedules that it drives my mother insane trying to keep track. My sister has gone to the point where she has a calendar stuck on her door which is updated every day  with her upcoming gigs and lunch and dinner appointments. In fact the chances of all four of us being at home at the same time is a rare occasion. This basically translates no family time.

Sometimes we try and make the effort to have a meal together, to get out as a family and most of the time these planned activities are just a bit of a disaster. There are arguments and heated discussions that mostly end with someone being annoyed and angry.

The best moments are the unplanned ones.

It was a cold evening and my sister and I had just got back home after running a bunch of errands. My mom and I hate the cold. In an attempt to warm up a bit, my mom made some soup. My dad was doing some work on the computer. I was writing a question paper and my sister was watching some episode on the laptop.

The hot soup and buttery toast summoned everyone to table automatically. I talked about my day at work. My sister discussed her December travel plans. My dad got up to make more toast. We sat and joked and laughed and finally decided that pasta salad should be the dinner for the night.

My sister and I moved to the kitchen to get started with making the pasta. Dad washed the vessels and mom just relaxed reading out some jokes from her whatsapp groups. We gossiped about the extended family a bit, made plans for all the weddings to come and of course talked about how my wedding should NOT be. All this while my sister chopped the veggies, I boiled the pasta then sauteed everything and mixed.

It was harmony without even trying. No extra effort put to try and have a good time. No talks about how we never have family time. It just happened, like magic. Talk about quality family time.

krupa.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love this post, Krupa! Good one :-)

Unknown said...

Love this post, Krupa! Good one :-)

misskays said...

thanks aditi