Friday, November 06, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: The Raghu Dixit Experience

There are very few things that can keep me away from shopping especially when I see handmade goods and Raghu Dixit managed that.

The Midnight Mela at UB city captured my attention more because my sister was playing with Raghu Dixit and the entry was free, and less because it was also a flea market.


What follows is the post that I wrote while at the gig.

There are some experiences that need to be documented immediately because I can feel the words rolling about in my head waiting to tumble out. I am standing in the Raghu Dixit show at UB City as I type this. Yes it is a crime to type while the music makes you want to head bang but if I don't do it now, then I may not have a post for tonight.. Watching Gaurav and Raghu headbang while playing the guitar made me wonder 2 things

1) How do you manage to make sure that your fingers are on the right notes while your head goes up and down
2) Does you head not hurt at the end of it?

Raghu Dixit is not a person. He is more like a presence. The epitome of eccentricity and I mean that in the nicest way possible. From the choice of stage attire- lungis, to the kannada songs with rock music and let's not forget the slightly A level jokes that were censored but not censored. It is very hard for the audience to not laugh at him, with him and identify with the cracks made at them.

There were 11 year old girls singing "gudugudiya sedi nodo" and jiba clad uncles nodding their heads (I think that was their version of headbanging) and 20 year olds jumping up and down, and also aunties in salwars snapping their fingers to the scintillating rhythms. The variety in the audience and the fact that most of them, actually almost all of them knew the words to many of the songs made me realise that this man was something else. My father aptly called him a "Cult".

Bringing out the deeper meanings from old Kannda poems and setting them to a tune that could make a granny in a wheelchair want to dance, is what Raghu Dixit Project is all about. He is enriching the next generation with raagas and thathvams (philosophies of life) in a way so subtle yet so powerful, it is no wonder that this man has such a huge following!!.

His life is story is one of those stereotypical ones where the underdog get discovered one fine day in a small dim lit pub, and then the rest is history. Nope, that is not what makes his music special. His ability to make people appreciate the old Kannada poems is his forte. For the ease of non Kannadigas he made sure to translate and give a gist of each of the songs, a personal touch that was heart warming.

Watching him live was an experience, something that my eyes, ears and feet will never forget. He gave me goosepimples and a slight headache from trying to headbang, but I know I stood mesmerised oblivious of the time and all the stalls selling fancy items behind me.

The Raghu Dixit Project is like a tasty meal, leaves feeling full but yet wanting more. An experience indeed.

krupa

No comments: