Sunday, November 22, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: Mumbai calling

By the time this post goes up I will be in Mumbai on a quick family vacation.

The last time I went to Mumbai (rather the first time I went) was in 2010 April/May. It was my first trip to any place above the latitudes and longitudes of Bangalore on my own. Given my knowledge of Hindi (I mean the lack of knowledge) I was pretty apprehensive but also really excited.

The train journey in itself was an experience. Over 7 hours on my own was interesting. I thought I would be incredibly bored but I kept myself entertained with books and music and eating non stop. Let me not forget the extensive hours of sleeping. Time really passes by quickly when you are snoring on the upper berth.

I got off at Dadar and went to my aunt's place. I had vada pav on my very first day because my aunt wanted to make sure I had the Bombay food experience.

I did the usual things that every one does at Mumbai- Gateway of India, Leopald Cafe, street side shopping, local train travel, see Marine Drive, travel for hours to reach from one side to the other and well taking in the sights and smells of Bombay- the city of dreams.

For me it was definitely felt like a dream to be out there with my friends and as just me.

It has been 5 years and my memories are starting to fade (#oldage) but there are some incidents/ events that remain fresh.

My perippa, who I stayed with at the fair end of my journey, was the one who put me on the train back to Bangalore. The food hamper that he packed for me is something I will never forget. Dinner rolls, small packets of butter, a tiny spoon, juice, jam, fruits, tepla and tons of love. I completely enjoyed sitting by the window, buttering the dinner rolls, sipping on coffee and reading a book. It makes me happy that this time I am in Mumbai to celebrate his 60th birthday.

I stayed a friend's place for a night and well that was the night I got a call from my parents telling me that my dad was going in for a surgery (my family and their history with hospitals is a post of its own). My friend's husband (whom I was meeting for the first time) was truly the biggest sweetheart and wanted to book flight tickets for me to return immediately. I had had an amazing day with the both of them and I was extremely touched by his gesture.

Surat. In the middle of this trip I did a super fast trip to Surat and back. Having a mama there was useful. My mami, a teacher, was the one who showed me how to tie my sari neatly and elegantly. She also took my shopping and helped me buy my first set of saris for work. Let me not forget all the yummy food that she cooked.

Last but not in any way the least. My favourite memory of that Mumbai trip wascoming back with 3 bags full (like like Ba Ba Black Sheep). I went with one suitcase and came back with three. In my defense I was just starting my first job and I needed a new wardrobe for it.

Cheers to more travels like this.

krupa


No comments: