Saturday, November 14, 2015

#30DaysToThirty : Girl About Town- Abu Dhabi

Did you guys know that MAC Cosmetics has a lipstick called Girl About Town?Okay I am not here to bore you with makeup stuff. I promise.

In June I had the opportunity to go to Abu Dhabi on work for two whole weeks. It was two insane weeks with multiple one days trips to Dubai, at the start of the Ramadan season and unbearable heat. Just imagine what it was like then. I truly believe that clouds are a rare sighting in Abu Dhabi. Well given the hectic schedule that we had, I didn't get to see much. Okay, I didn't get to see anything in Dubai (No Boss, I am not complaining. Just stating). However Abu Dhabi saw me roaming a lot of malls. Fortunately I have an amazing friend there and his beautiful wife (whom I totally fell in love with because she is simply the sweetest. He is lucky to have found her).  So I was well taken care of the entire two weeks.

It was my first trip abroad without family, and sure I had friends and my boss there, but still... I am one of those who never go on solo trips, because I fear being alone. I don't think I can handle being on my own for extended periods of time. And here I was, in a huge hotel room all by myself. I thought it would drive me mad, but you know what, I LOVED it. I looked forward to heading back to the room at the end of the day to just sit on the bed with chocolate or Pringles and sometimes some juice to watch a movie on the laptop or read a book. I never in a million years thought that I would be okay being there with just me. I was truly surprised at how much I had grown as a person.

One evening my boss was out with my other boss and my friend didn't turn up to take me out for the evening because he had fallen asleep. I decided to take a walk to the Corniche. I had heard so much about it and I hadn't had a chance to see it. I got tired of waiting for someone to take me, so I decided to just go by myself. And that was the best decision ever. It was a good 40 minute walk from the place where I was staying but I got to see the sun set. I got to take in all the sights around. I took a bit of a long route and got a bit lost but it was so worth it. The sky was this amazing combination of blue purple pink and golden. I was inspired to do an eye makeup look based on that (which is still pending. But anyway..) I just sat there watching the sun sink into the depths of the ocean. Got a bit emotional at being away from home for so long and shed a few tears. Then took a deep breath and felt myself relax. It was just so beautiful. I felt so connected to the surroundings. I felt so proud of myself and how far I had come in the past year. I just sat and reflected. After a really long time I felt confident and happy. Truly happy.

Some experiences are meant to happen only alone. That walk to Corniche was the highlight of my Abu Dhabi trip (besides shopping at Sephora. But non makeup lovers will not get it). It made me realise the importance of appreciating myself. After all, if you can't love yourself, then no one will love you. Right?

krupa

2 comments:

Janani SriGuha said...

I'm so glad that you were able to do this! :) It's definitely a great feeling. So proud of you :)

misskays said...

It surely is!!! Muah! Thanks da..