Wednesday, November 18, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: Our Annual Family dinner

Every family has its own set of rituals and traditions. The one thing that my sis and I would always looked forward to was our Annual Family Dinner. No I don't mean that we went out for dinner only once a year. We tried to go out for all our birthdays. However the Annual Family Dinner was this dinner that we would  have at Windsor Manor.

Sometimes we would go for the parents anniversary. Sometimes we would just randomly go in June or July. It took extensive planning. All four of us had to be free with no commitments at school, college or work. This meant no college fests, no meetings that ran late and no engagements with friends. It was usually a Friday evening so that we could relax and eat without worrying about having to get up early the next morning.

Dad would make sure that he came home early from work. I would spend days planning the perfect outfit. Come on! It is a 7 star hotel. I had to look worthy of 7 star okay. I also had to make sure that the rest of my family looked worthy of 7 star. I couldn't be seen with them otherwise. After my dad prodding us to get moving, I would make sure my hair was in place and we would go to the car.

The entire drive down we would talk about what we were going to eat for sure and what we could probably skip. We would remind each other of the mistakes we made last time like eating pasta twice. That just reduces space for dessert. So that is an absolute no!!

Once we reached Windsor Manor, we would head to the restroom, powder room and freshen up and of course take a few selfies. Restrooms always have the best lighting. I can never figure why!!

Before sitting down for soup we would survey the entire menu (we always went for buffet) and make mental notes of what all we had to try and what could be skipped.

I think my favourite part was the cheeses and salads. So many varieties!! My sister always loved the desserts. My mom usually attacked the North Indian subzis while dad pretty much ate everything.

The motto was always simple- Eat slowly, try EVERYTHING vegetarian. It does not matter if you feel like a bloated snake, you had to try everything. Period.

The dinner would always end with my mother doing a Ms Rottenmeier wiping her mouth imitation and my dad asking what she was doing. (If you didn't get the reference then you haven't watched Heidi like we have).

I know someone must be wondering if Annual Family Dinners still happen. Yes they do. Some traditions don't change that easily :D


krupa 

No comments: