Monday, November 16, 2015

#30DaysTOThirty: My 18th Birthday

There are some memories that are etched so deeply in your mind that when you think about them they seem so fresh. My 18th Birthday is one such memory

12th std. For a change we didn't have any exams. It was a half day at school but no classes as such because we were done with portions. One of my friends, lets just call her "Pisasu" for the sake of anonymity, insisted on going to watch Kal Ho Na Ho in the afternoon after school. Why the hell would I want to go for a Hindi movie on my birthday?? I wanted to take all of them home for lunch but no, she HAD to go for the movie only that day.

Then there was this guy from 11th. My best friend, well more like my brother in that class. He was being his usual painful self. Fought with me before wishing me and cracked some really lame jokes about me growing old and not getting hints. I had no idea what he was talking about. (turns out he knew something I didn't)

I went home kind of pissed that I didn't get to spend my birthday with my friends at school. I was still fuming that a damn movie was more important than me So my mommy darling made lasagna to cheer me up. I ate and then rushed to tuition.

I remember what I wore. I bought a pair of black jeans with a flared end like a bell bottom (worst choice ever because that stupid jeans kept getting caught in the peddles of my cycle. Of course the pant eventually got ruined because the bell bottoms was way too long and kept trailing on the ground. That was the last time I bought flared out pants.) I had a white full arm top with flared out sleeves. (are you seeing a pattern here) and a metallic belt (which I still have). I wore my new clothes and went to tuition.

I know you must be thinking, "Tuition on your birthday. What a bummer!!" The thing is my tuition teacher was my best friend's mom and aunty insisted that I go for tuition that day even though I said I didn't want to. So I went. I figured I could hang out with Jan atleast.

Aunty wished me and there was just 3 of us in tuition that day. We finished early because aunty had to go out. Jan was restless the entire time. She walked in and out of the tuition room a few times. kept whispering to our other friends there and was obviously agitated by something.

But of course I was too occupied with the fact that it was my birthday and still pissed off that my darling friends had walked out of school to go to a movie on MY birthday. What the hell right!!

Finally tuition got over and I went down to the house (the tuition room was on the top floor) to get my birthday gift from my best friend. (she always gives me the best gifts).

I walk into the dining hall to hears some people scream "SURPRISE". Like what?????

Janani and my mom had conspired to throw a surprise party for my 18th birthday. All my 10 C friends, my 12th standard friends (They didn't go for a movie. They went to buy me a birthday gift), my parents, my sister, some family friends. It was amazing!!! In my usual style, I burst into tears (that's my first response to everything- happiness, sadness, anger, frustration). Of course Janani's sister never lets me forget that I burst into tears, but hey I don't plan to forget that either

It was such an amazing birthday. One that is talked about even now.

krupa



1 comment:

The Jeromy Diaries said...

OMG!!!! How funny can U be Krupa hahahahahaha the flared pants cracked me up and I think I was laughing for an entire minute hahahahHa 'got stuck to the peddles of my cycle' hahahahahaha ha 😂😂😂