Saturday, November 21, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: The Birthday Traditions

A friend once described me as " a sunshine birthday" person. Very true and very apt. I love birthdays and of course I love my birthday the most. Like duh. For the first time ever I am going to sharing some of my crazy birthday traditions. Some things that I like to do every year on my birthday and for my birthday.

All you judgemental people out there this is when you stop reading and step away from the computer..


1) Stay up till midnight.
I like spend the night before preparing for my birthday. I like to give myself a small pamper session the night before with a pedicure and a manicure. Usually my nails will complement my birthday dress. Though I must mention that with age it is getting harder to stay up till midnight.

2) Multiple new dresses.
I am super particular about having a new dress on my birthday. Inevitably my tailor messes things up and never gives my dress on time. So I always, and I mean ALWAYS have a back up plan. (The back up plan has also included throwing a fit so my daddy takes me shopping the night before).  In fact I love having multiple new clothes for my birthday. It is the best excuse to shop for new stuff. (Not that I need an excuse).

3) The hair cut.
I go for a yearly hair cut before my birthday. Some birthdays I've tried new haircuts and sometimes it is just a trim. I love my hair and well, though I don't go crazy experimenting with it, I do like to step out of my comfort zone once in a while. 

4) The blessings and wishes.
Ever since I was a little girl, my grandparents and aunts and uncles would always be the first ones to call me early in the morning and wish me. Over the years the 6am wishes have now become 10am wishes but my day is not complete if I don't hear from them. One year, I didn't get a call from my maternal grandparents and I called them and asked for their blessings. In fact I even go to the extent of reminding a few key people about my birthday, just to get their wishes. I know there are a lot of people who will read this and say "Sheesh! What a woman. Why can't she just let go of it and let people be?" Well I believe that if someone matters to you, you need to reach out to them. Everyone's lives have just become so hectic that remembering birthdays have become a part to a to-do checklist. My birthday, I want the wishes, whats wrong in me asking for them. Isn't that better than sulking that they forgot?

5) Getting flowers.
I think there has never been a year when I haven't gotten flowers. And nope I don't ask for flowers. Maybe I ask for gifts :P but not flowers. Yet people always give me flowers. It has become a birthday tradition or the simplest way for people to escape from putting thought into an actual gift. And hell yes, I still expect gifts. I don't see why I shouldn't. Just because I am growing older doesn't mean I've stopped wearing clothes, accessories, perfumes, make up or stopped reading books and watching movies. (those are all the hints I could possibly fit into one line.) 

6) The special meal.
My mommy is the best. She always cooks something I love for one of the meals. Either pasta, pizza, lasgna, chole batura. No matter what plans I make with friends, one meal is always only with family on my birthday.

So what's special for your birthday?

krupa


No comments: