Monday, November 23, 2015

#30DaysToThirty: My tryst with dance

Amazing that in 10 days of blogging I haven't talked about dance and my journey through it.

My earliest memories of dance go back to when I was about 5 or younger. We were in London and I remember being on stage with a small deepam in my hand. I remember peering out from behind the curtain to see if my parents were in the audience. I remember loving the adrenaline rush of being in the limelight.

I started learning Bharatnatyam at the age of 5 and half. For a brief period I was learning at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan somewhere in the heart of London. Our guru was insistent that we wear a sari. It was a white and red sari. We had to wear a tee shirt and leggings underneath. The sari had to be tied at calf length and the knot of the pallu had to sit just at the tail bone. If it wasn't tight enough, then our guru would tighten it such that you can't even imagine hunching. You were forced to keep a straight back and keep your posture perfect. I looked forward to Monday dance classes, I mean there were some incentives that made it better. An awesome mini pizza would be waiting for me when I got back from school. My mom would heat up this mini frozen pizza for me to eat before I rushed off for class that was almost 45 minutes away. (I can still taste that pizza as I talk about it). After class was done, my neighbour's father would pick us up and sometimes we would stop at MacDonalds on the way back to pick up a small packet of French fries (yes my tryst with French fries goes back almost as long as my love for dance). Oh how I loved dance classes.

Then we moved back to India and of course dance had to continue. We went through about 3 dance teachers in a span of 5 years or so. Finally settled on one who made sure I went ahead to do my State Level Junior Exam. Definitely one of my biggest achievements. I went on to continue to learn Bharatnatyam till my 11th standard.

A lot of people ask me if I have done my arrangetram. and well no I haven't. I very categorically told my parents that I did not want to do it. I just wanted to learn dance because I loved it and not be forced to practice for 4 hours a day to perform a 3 hour solo. Sure it is an amazing opportunity to showcase what you have learnt but it was not for me. (I have a lot of these notions that get stuck in my head)

When you are a dancer, choreography is a natural progression. A lot of these choreographies were for performances with cousins during the summer holidays, or in the apartments with my friends. Come Undone by Duran Duran was one of the first songs I remember choreographing. I think the choreographies that I enjoyed the most were as a teacher. It was great fun to teach the students and get like 40 of them on stage. The stage has literally been rocked!!

After being a classical dancer for more than a decade, I tried my hand at salsa and western jazz. Jazz was definitely an experience!! I mean it was so different from Bharatnatyam. I had to let go of all the stiffness and allow the movements to just flow. Man I would look at myself dancing and think "Ugh can't you do that pirouette better?" I am my own critic.

I still dance around the house. I dance when I am sad. I dance when I am happy. I dance when I just need to make myself feel better. Dancing, like writing, has been a way of expression for me. It will always be a part of me. In fact it will always be my identity.

krupa

No comments: